As a business, one of the most important things you can do is invest in the training and development of your employees. It’s essential to make sure your team has the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in their roles and contribute to your company’s growth. One of the most effective ways to do this is through training videos. Incorporating training videos in your L&D program promises better knowledge retention, improved employee performance, and higher overall success. In this article, we’ll explore the power of training videos, how they can foster growth and improve performance, and everything you need to know to get started.
Looking for a powerful tool to educate your employees?
Professional training videos are the answer! These videos are essential for teaching a specific skill or topic to your intended audience. Their purpose is to educate and help viewers understand and retain new knowledge. In fact, studies indicate that providing a visual and auditory learning experience can be more effective than traditional training methods like lectures or written materials!
Effective educational videos feature relevant content, relatable examples, and visual aids to explain concepts to learners. They can be used in various contexts, such as corporate training, customer education, and personal learning. Hosting platforms like YouTube and Vimeo make videos readily available to your viewers. Additionally, training videos can deliver consistent messaging and ensure that all employees receive the same training.
How Training Videos Benefit Your Business
Creating training videos for your organization can significantly contribute to its growth. Using them with both employees and customers has a number of professional benefits.
- First and foremost, they are cost-effective. High-quality training videos save you time and resources and can dramatically increase your ROI. Every company is on a budget, and we all know saving money where you can is critical.
- Second, these increase learning and are more captivating than other training methods, leading to improved employee performance and increased customer engagement. They use a combination of visuals, audio, and text to deliver information in a way that’s easy to understand and retain.
- Finally, training videos can strengthen your brand by providing a go-to resource for everything related to your industry. And incorporating video content into your online presence can enhance search engine ranking, drive increased website traffic, and empower customers to make well-informed purchasing decisions.
Let’s look at the details:
Cutting Costs and Boosting ROI: The Financial Benefits
Training employees is critical to business success but can be a huge investment. Training-related expenditures in the U.S. passed the $100 billion mark last year, and businesses, on average, spent almost 1/5 of their budget on learning tools and technologies! But unlike extensive internal documents, training videos are easy to produce, edit, and update and can cut per-learner costs by 50-70%. As an example, when Microsoft replaced their classroom training with video training, the cost dropped from $320 per person to just $17 per person! Investing in high-quality videos to educate your employees, whether created in-house, or by a professional internal communications video production agency, allows for more efficient use of your resources and budget and is an intelligent way to help increase profits.
One of the many ways these videos can save you money is that you only need to invest one time in a video that can be used over and over. It can be difficult to provide uniform training to today’s hybrid workforce, but video training offers consistency on a budget. Once you’ve created a training video, you can use it to train multiple employees, reducing the need for individual training sessions! This ensures your entire team gets the exact same information in whatever work environment they reside.
Additionally, training videos can be used to teach employees in remote locations and be shared with employees around the world. With remote work becoming increasingly common, online video training allows teams to communicate updates and processes in a timely manner, regardless of time zones. Therefore, the significant expenses associated with hiring multiple instructors or organizing gatherings for your vast team are dramatically reduced. There is no longer a need to bear the costs of travel or coordinate the logistics of bringing employees together.
Creating online training videos is also a proven way to drive profits for your business. By using these videos as sales tools, your sales team can better explain product features and convince prospects of the value of your product, resulting in more closed deals. Additionally, video tutorials can increase customer satisfaction by providing timely support and reducing the workload on your support team. This leads to more word-of-mouth marketing and attracts referral customers. Finally, landing page videos can convert customers and drive sales.
Elevating Learning: Training Videos for Knowledge Acquisition
Making training videos can be an effective way to improve communication and awareness within an organization. Videos provide a combination of visual and auditory information to communicate training information effectively. They can also be used to address complex topics in a clear and straightforward manner to avoid confusion and ensure that their employees understand the information being presented. Creating videos that explain company culture and environment can also be beneficial for onboarding new employees.
Training videos can also significantly improve team efficiency by providing a consistent and accessible source of knowledge. Plus, offering regular training shows your employees that you are willing to invest in their growth! According to a Wyzowl study, 96% of respondents say that it is essential that their employer offers educational opportunities. And a whopping 86% of millennials said they would stay in their current position if more training were offered by their employer.
Want to improve employee productivity, increase skill sets, and maintain employee engagement and retention rates? Use training videos! When employees watch them, they are more likely to retain the information for extended periods, which inevitably improves their job performance. Video training materials have an advantage over written content in terms of memorability, as people typically recall only 20% of what they read compared to 80% of what they see and engage with. Additionally, these videos can be used to identify essential skills and topics to help employees perform their jobs more effectively, thus producing a more substantial ROI than traditional workshops.
And according to Forrester Research, employees are 75% more likely to watch videos than to read documents or web articles. This is because videos provide content in an exciting and easily consumable format that employees can access at their convenience. Training videos can be consumed at any time, on any device, in a short, snackable format and be revisited whenever necessary. This results in a more informed and competent workforce, leading to improved performance and efficiency.
Building a Powerful Brand: Enhance Your Company's Identity and Reputation
Creating training videos can have a significant impact on company culture by providing consistent and engaging training for employees. By using videos that clearly communicate company values and expectations, employees can feel more connected to the organization and understand their role in contributing to its success. Additionally, training videos can help create a sense of community within the workplace, as employees are all receiving the same information and working towards the same goals. By investing in high-quality training videos, companies can improve their culture and create a more positive and productive work environment.
Training videos can also increase brand credibility in several ways. By providing online training videos that cover the most common questions and concerns of your audience, you become a valuable resource for your industry. This positions your brand as trustworthy and knowledgeable. Additionally, creating video tutorials on your product's features and frequently asked questions can increase customer satisfaction and reduce the number of open support tickets. By regularly producing training videos, you can strengthen your brand image, become a go-to resource for your employees and audience, and increase your brand influence. And when you answer your audience's most common questions, you become an asset for information related to your industry.
Additionally, an effective way to increase customer satisfaction is by providing timely support and answering frequently asked questions. By addressing common customer concerns and pain points, training videos can help customers use your product to its full potential and get more value. These videos provide excellent customer service, create a memorable customer experience, and engage in virtual onboarding. They also make an excellent sales tool that explains product features and shows prospects how they can get value from your product. This, in turn, drives word-of-mouth marketing and attracts referral customers.
The last way training videos can improve your brand is by increasing your website's search engine optimization and traffic. By optimizing your video's title and description for relevant keywords, search algorithms will start ranking your videos for relevant search queries, sending you loads of free traffic. Additionally, uploading your training videos to social media platforms like YouTube can make them easily searchable. This empowers customers to make better purchasing decisions, ultimately growing your business.
Types of Training Videos and When to Use Them
Training videos have emerged as the ultimate solution for combating the ever-shortening attention spans. This approach revolutionizes workplace training by effortlessly breaking down complex, monotonous, or abstract concepts into bite-sized information chunks that are easy to absorb. With their immersive delivery, training videos captivate the audience, ensuring maximum knowledge retention. However, with the multitude of video types available, choosing the right one can be daunting. Factors such as your audience's goals, budget, resources, and even personal preference come into play. Don't worry, though! We're here to help you navigate through the five most common types of training videos, where each one is best applied.
1. Instructor-led Training Videos
These are prevalent types of online learning content. Typically, an instructor directly addresses the camera to deliver information. However, to enhance engagement, instructors often incorporate additional visual elements like images, screencasts, or presentations. Maintaining conciseness in these videos is crucial as it enables learners to quickly acquire knowledge without wasting time. Shorter videos prevent distractions and facilitate the immediate application of the learned material.
Use these videos when you have an expert presenter or a charismatic instructor.
2. Product Demo Videos
Product demo videos are designed to showcase your products or services. They can be used to train your sales team on how to pitch your offerings effectively or to educate customers on how to use your products. Product demo videos can be a powerful marketing tool, helping you to differentiate your offerings and close more deals.
Use these videos when educating employees or clients on the specific features of your product or service.
3. How-to Videos
Also referred to as demonstration videos, these effectively showcase and guide learners through tasks or processes. These videos have gained popularity on platforms like YouTube, where instructors demonstrate the precise steps involved. By encouraging viewers to replicate the demonstrated processes, these videos stimulate active learning.
Use these videos to illustrate step-by-step processes.
4. Animated training videos
These videos encompass a wide range of styles and formats, including 2D animation, stop-motion, whiteboard animation, explainer videos, 3D animations, kinetic text and video, and motion graphics, among others. These visually captivating videos utilize animation techniques to bring content to life. They excel at conveying concepts, data, and intricate processes in a clear and engaging manner.
Use these videos to explain complex processes and ideas that are difficult to visualize.
5. Screencast Training Videos
Widely favored for software tutorials and demos, these videos involve recording the screen to showcase training content. These videos capture real-time interactions with the software and often feature a voiceover narration to guide learners through specific tasks. This training video format effectively assists users in grasping the utilization of software products.
Use these videos when creating software tutorials or technical instruction.
What format should be used to create training videos?
When creating training videos, the format chosen is crucial in making a compelling video. There are various types of video formats available, such as whiteboard, animation, live-action, talking heads, and more. Complex systems can often be presented well with 3D animation, while training on a topic that may require vulnerability may be better served with a "talking head" style video. Each format has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it's essential to choose the one that suits the information you want to communicate best.
Best Practices: How to Get the Most from Your Training Videos
To get the most out of your training videos, it’s crucial to develop an effective video strategy that aligns with your business goals.. Here are some tips and best practices to help you get started:
Define Your Goals
- Before you start creating your training video, it’s important to define your goals. Who will be watching your training videos? What do you want them to learn? What outcomes do you hope to achieve? Having clear goals in mind will help you to create a more effective training program.
Keep it Short and Sweet
- Training videos should be short and to the point. Employees have a lot on their plates, and they’re more likely to engage with a video that’s concise and easy to digest. Aim for videos that are no longer than 10-15 minutes.
Use High-Quality Visuals and Audio
- The quality of your video can make a big difference in how engaged your employees are. Invest in high-quality visuals and audio to create a more professional-looking video, or consider using a professional video production team.
- Consider innovative ways to share your message, such as using an interview-style format or turning learning into a story. By incorporating these techniques, you can create a training video that stands out and impacts your audience.
Engage Your Audience
- Use different audience engagement techniques such as emojis, interactive quizzes, exercises, and viewer feedback to ensure that the viewer remains hooked to the content. Humor and entertainment go a long way in making content more interesting.
Include a Call-to-Action
- Including a call-to-action (CTA) in a training video is crucial for its effectiveness because it prompts viewers to take action and apply what they have learned. The CTA should be specific, relevant, and easy to follow.
Choose the Right LMS
- Using an LMS, or learning management system, improves the effectiveness of training videos by providing trainers with the tools to organize content, track progress and facilitate communication with trainees. Consider factors like ease of use and cost when deciding.
Regularly Update Your Videos
- Updating training videos ensures that the information presented is accurate, relevant, and useful to the intended audience. As businesses and industries evolve, so do the processes, tools, and techniques used. If training videos become outdated, they may lead to confusion, frustration, and ultimately poor performance.
Why Training Videos Are a Must-Have Tool to Unlock Your Team’s Potential
- Training videos can communicate updates or processes to remote team members in different time zones.
- Creating online training videos can improve employee productivity, skillset and help strengthen your brand image.
- Onboarding employees plays a pivotal role in any recruitment strategy, and training videos can help employees start their new positions with confidence.
- Videos can be used for employee training, which promises better knowledge retention, improved employee performance, and higher overall L&D success.
- Corporate training videos can be a valuable asset in promoting professional development in the workplace and building effective employee upskilling programs.
- Online training videos can also introduce new products and services and demonstrate software or systems.
Training videos are an essential asset for every business, unlocking the potential of your team and driving improved outcomes. These powerful tools for educating your employees are cost-effective, engaging, and consistent. They can be used for a variety of training needs. By following best practices and developing a video strategy that aligns with your business goals, you can create compelling training videos that help your employees succeed.
And if you don’t have the time or resources to create your own videos, outsourcing can be a good option. So why wait? Invest in your employees’ development today and start reaping the benefits of training videos. Contact Levitate Media to take your LMS to the next level with compelling, professional training videos designed to meet your every goal.